Monday, November 24, 2008

Rubbing Elbows

WARNING: This is not a riding story...rather it is a story about riders. Those who be, and those who wannabe.




This weekend I drove down to the Front Range to hang with my friend Matt, take in a ride, and be a lookie loo at the Garmin Slipstream kick-off party in Boulder.



We weren't sure what to expect from the party, but we were pleasantly surprised. Over 800 fans like us and VIP's gathered at the Boulder Theater for an hour and a half cycling kick-off party. This must be what midnight madness is like at the beginning of the college basketball season.....alright it was Boulder, so all of that with a pretentious uppity feel to it!

We got the last two seats in the balcony (thanks Matt) and settled in for some video presentations and speeches from the Mayor of Boulder, CEO's of primary sponsor companies, and a representative of the Children's Hospital. I give the team big props for donating all proceeds to the Hospital.

My goal for the evening was to capture a picture of team manager Jonathan Vaughters in his trademark turtleneck for my wife....he wasn't wearing one that evening, but I got this one for you sweetie....


After all of the presentations, JV introduced the team and had them come on stage for brief bios and a short audience Q&A. It was impressive to see the whole team on stage. It was also fun to listen to the trash talking and the promises of performance, we'll see.



After the show appeared to be breaking up, I made a break for it. I dragged Matt with me and made a bee line for the VIP area. On the way we ran into time trailing stud David Millar....




David has won three stages of the Tour and is the only Brit to have worn all three Jerseys at the Tour.

This only further fueled my desire to crack the secret VIP zone. We tried and were denied, but waited patiently. I saw another opportunity and we made a run for it. This is what waited on the other side!


Drew with Magnus Backstedt 2004 Paris Roubaix champion





With Mike Friedman, multiple time and discipline national champion on the track.


With Bradley Wiggins four time Olympic Gold medalist, multiple time world track champion, and flamboyant Brit about town!



David Towle the "Voice of American Racing" was the emcee


Slipstream Director Sportif Jonathan Vaughters (sans turtleneck)


Drew with 2008 Tour de France 4th place, Christian Vandevelde


I was really glad that we got down into the "pits." The guys were all really nice and I hope that they do great this coming season....I could add to the list of TDF champions who I've been photographed with....


Matt and I cruised back home and hit the bars in Fort Collins to tell all of the ladies about our evening. Actually we had some wings, fries, and PBR's and went back home to bed.


Part two of the weekend called for an early rise to hit about 30 miles of single track the next day. More to come.




1 comment:

Fonk said...

Nice!!

One thing that bugs me about Lance's comeback (though I'm generally excited about it) is that I think it may take away from the up-and-coming story of Christian Vande Velde. He rode awesome in this last Tour, and were it not for some bad luck, would have been on the podium. I think he has the potential to do even better in '09. With Lance coming though (assuming he does - maybe he'll just do the Giro and Vuelta?), all the attention will go back to our past hero instead of our present-and-future great American hope. I hope Christian and the gang blow them away this year.