Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Smokin' Summer



What a Great Summer!


In the early 1990's a bicycle saved my life....its not important that the bike was blue and pink...


After graduating from college and accepting a real job in Denver, my bike time productivity was cut in dramatic fashion. I went from 8 years of sponsored grassroots level racing to 8 years of mostly sedentary lifestyle resulting in a ballooning from 175 to 220 pounds. The joy of the cubicle.


Our family relocated to a high mountain valley in Colorado about three years ago and I reconnected with the bicycle. The move, in many ways, has been another life saver. I have lost over 20 pounds (around 197 at last weigh in) and reconnected with a deep love for the bicycle.


Now, instead of riding short and fast for podium space, I find myself enjoying the physical pain and mental challenge of distance/endurance riding. This summer I rode longer and harder than I ever have...competing and completing my first 100, my first 12 Hour solo, and making a return trip to Moab for the 24 Hours to name a few.


I'll try and catch up on all of my fun activities from this summer and a preview of goals and events for 2009 in the coming weeks. After that I'll try and keep more up to date on all activities closer to when they happen.


For now, enjoy these two pictures. The one on the top of the post is from the 2008 24 Hours of Moab (me on the left with a new friend from Grand Junction) and the one on the bottom is from the 2008 Triple Bypass (me on the right with a new friend from Minnesota...and a found PBR can!). I found a package of cigarettes at the very beginning of the Triple and have been using them as a prop since. I'll post more details about each ride and pictures soon....until then, just know that I've had a smokin' summer!


Dale's Pale Ale


No comments: